Re: help needed with project notation strategy

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: help needed with project notation strategy
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2016 16:20:24 +0100

Dave Phillips <address@hidden> writes:

> Since every note was hand-entered into the sequencer - I'm a guitarist
> with no music keyboard skills - I think it's a safe bet that
> everything's quantized, i.e. all durations are exactly as I wanted
> them.

Oh.  Have you thought about a chromatic button accordion or keyboard?
It's just like a 16-string guitar tuned in minor thirds and with 2-4
frets (corresponding to 3-5 button rows).  Namely, chords have shapes
you can move all over the place and transposing by one semitone means
just sliding one fret, excuse me, button row up.  Transpose by a minor
third by moving one string, pardon, button column to the side.  Nice
keyboard instrument to play by ear.

At any rate: if you have hand-entered your Midi in a grid (not relying
on mouse precision), I should think that you should find
settings/options where midi2ly's interpretation does not suck horribly.

> Thanks for the reminder re: Rosegarden, I'll try the MIDI file there
> to see how it shows up in the notation page.

It might help.  With input of that size, wasting some time on converters
before making a decision is certainly warranted.  Personally, I'd not
worry too much over durations and would be prepared to hand-edit them.
I think it's more important that you get polyphony dealt with sensibly,
or you'll likely be better off retyping from scratch.

--
David Kastrup