Re: Aligning a tempo marking with a note

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Aligning a tempo marking with a note
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:23:21 -0500

Hi Joram and David,

> you should rather stick to the right syntax

David *is* using the right syntax: “rit” (etc.) is a tempo marking
(MetronomeMark), not an arbitrary text markup (TextScript).

> I have now discovered that this does not work too well when the
> mark comes at the beginning of a bar which has a time- and/or a
> key-signature, because the marking then comes above the signature.  This
> is fine for a normal tempo marking such as "Allegro", but looks wrong
> for "rit." or "accel.", which I would prefer to appear above the first
> note of the bar.

Look at break-align-symbols, e.g.

%%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.30"
\language "english"

markMusic = {
  \time 4/4
  \tempo "Aligned to TimeSignature (default)"
  c''4 4 4 4 \break

  \time 3/4
  \tempo "rit. (default)"
  c''4 4 4 \break

  \time 3/4
  \once \override Score.MetronomeMark.break-align-symbols = #'(custos)
  \tempo "rit. (tweaked)"
  c''4 4 4 \break

  \time 4/4
  \tempo "rit. (back to default)"