Re: [feature request:] fret diagrams with fingering indications and addi

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: [feature request:] fret diagrams with fingering indications and additional text
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2015 13:04:12 +0100

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> I did some experiments, result attached.
>>
>> Please test. There is a README in it.
>>
>> Please be aware it's experimental code, not ready yet to put up a
>> patch, although it compiles as far as I tested...
>> (some debugging code is still present, most of it commented, though)
>>
>> There's also
>> http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Guitar-Fret-Diagram-scale-degree-below-string-td179664.html#a179789
>> which may be of interest for you
>>
>> Happy testing,
>>   Harm
>
> Hi Harm,
>
> I finally managed to test your code and I really, really like it!  I
> especially like the option to
> turn the annotations on and off.

Glad you like it.

Ofcourse it's not in the source atm.
And there's the (long-standing) problem that we have a plethora of
properties in fret-diagram-interface, far too much.
This code even adds another one.
Not all of them are documented in a useful manner.
I've the feeling we should rewrite the whole thingy...
Not that I'd have a good idea how to do it or the time to think about it at all.

> Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that some (or all?) of your recent
> improvements have not been documented in the Notation Reference.  I'd
> volunteer for this job.

Honestly, I did not always keep track what's documented and what's not, though:

Entering text instead of finger-indications is an old feature (but
wasn't documented for ages)
Setting individual parentheses, colors, parentheses-colors is
documented, sort of...

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-fretted-strings#fret-diagram-markups

Would be great if you could work on improving this section, I'm not
very good in writing docs ...

Thanks,
  Harm