RE: Sibelius 7 to LilyPond Conversion!

From: Thomas Wilmot
Subject: RE: Sibelius 7 to LilyPond Conversion!
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 01:09:29 -0300

That's too bad!
If only the Denemo version could just be ported over!
I bet it could do alright if it would just spit out SOMETHING!

> > It also adds staccato and other markings with "-\staccato" or
> > "-\markup" - I don't know the purpose of the hyphen, but it
> makes the
> > file fail if your remove Denemo's weird wrappers and other commands.
>
> The hyphen marks a post event and is not necessary in this
> case, but it
> shouldn't cause problems. Please give a minimal example to show this
> problem.

Huh!
Here is a minimal example which fails:

{ c-\-. }

If I change it back to { c-\staccato }, then it works again, so you're right
it had nothing to do with Denemo's codes, but it's just an inhuman way to
write a staccato, though I suppose it's correct!

> > it'd be nice if
> > LilyPond 2.18.2's MusicXML2LY just worked! :P
>
> Who would not agree? It would be nice to have someone with the skills
> and will to make it work.

Yes so true; it always seems to come down to a lack of resources with these
things!

> > Of course I could manually remove all the octave markings but there
> > are about seventeen pages of music I'm working with so I'd love to
> > hear of an easier way.
>
> Have a look at Frescobaldi <http://frescobaldi.org> - it can convert
> relative <-> absolute mode.
>
> Yours, Simon

Yes, thanks for that tip!  I just started using Frescobaldi last month and
it's great but I didn't know about that feature!