loco function which adds markup to the *next* musical moment

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: loco function which adds markup to the *next* musical moment
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:03:37 -0400

Hello,

I’m trying to put together a bunch of syntactical sugar around octavation.
(n.b. I am aware that there are open issues regarding octavation; even when
those are solved, there will need to be some sugar.)

I would like to have a single command which ends an octavation *and* places the
“loco” mark appropriately. Right now, I believe one needs two commands, e.g.

    \octU c’ d’ e’ f’ \loco g-\markup “loco”

If I just use a simple “single-moment” shorthand like

    loco = { \ottava #0 -\markup “loco” }

then obviously the markup would get placed incorrectly.

How can loco be defined so that it ends the octavation (and thus closes the
OttavaBracket) at *this* moment, but postpones the markup until the *next*
moment [in the same context], if one exists?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info