Re: Frescobaldi creates the pdf but doesn't export it?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi creates the pdf but doesn't export it?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 13:54:04 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> On Sat, 10 Oct 2015, David Kastrup wrote:
>> The real SSD killer is putting swap there and/or suspend to disk.
>> That's gigabytes of actually happening writes.
>
> Is that really true of suspend-to-disk?  Seems to me that writing the
> contents of memory to disk on suspend would only happen between one and
> ten times per day, and with hundreds of thousands of writes available
> before an SSD wears out, it has decades of lifespan at that rate.
> Something else in the system will almost certainly die first.  Almost an
> ideal scenario for an SSD.

The ideal scenario for an SSD is server duty for anything but active
and/or private file systems.  Almost exclusively reads, and random
access patterns.

> Putting swap on SSD is another story entirely.

Well, on GNU/Linux it's not quite another story since hibernation needs
an active swap partition.  One tries to make it as much a different
story as possible by fiddling with settings like "swappiness".

--
David Kastrup