Re: Emacs lilypond-mode and also point-and-click

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs lilypond-mode and also point-and-click
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:41:15 +0200

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

> Greetings All,
>
> I’m aware that the emacs lilypond-mode needs attention, but I wonder
> if anybody has seen this. When I enter a ‘>’ character to complete a
> chord, emacs goes into narrow mode, which then has to be undone with
> C-x n w. It’s consistently reproducible.
>
> Also, using evince on Ubuntu 15.04 with either Unity or the GNOME 3
> Shell, after several successful point-and-click redirects, the file in
> emacs get messed up and the source file has to be reloaded.
>
> Does anybody else experience these oddities?

No.

But part 1 is likely to myself having the following rather large setting
in my Emacs:

    blink-matching-paren-distance is a variable defined in ‘simple.el’.
    Its value is 102400

    Documentation:
    If non-nil, maximum distance to search backwards for matching open-paren.
    If nil, search stops at the beginning of the accessible portion of the
buffer.

    You can customize this variable.

    This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
    version 23.2 of Emacs.

    [back]

What's yours?  This large setting would seem to render harmless (for
files of moderate size) the following piece of code in
LilyPond-blink-matching-paren:

    (when blink-matching-paren-distance
      (narrow-to-region
       (max (point-min) (- (point) blink-matching-paren-distance))
       (min (point-max) (+ (point) blink-matching-paren-distance))))

There does not appear to be anything countering this narrow-to-region.
Good grief.

Point-and-click does not mess up anything here and I don't know why it
should.  Can you give examples of how the files are messed up?

--
David Kastrup