Re: Unable to produce slur in ossia staff

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Unable to produce slur in ossia staff
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 10:46:02 +0200

Seng Liang <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, my name is Seng and I seem to have run into a problem when using
> Lilypond 2.18.2 on Windows 7. I'm trying to include an ossia staff which
> contains a principal note and two ending grace (Aftergrace) notes. I also
> want a slur to connect the principal note and the second grace note, but
> when I compiled the score, Lilypond gives a warning where it tells me it
> cannot end the slur and there is an unterminated slur. The output file
> does not have any slur at all. Here is an example of the problem:
>
> \version "2.18.2"
> \new Staff = "main" \relative c'' { \time 2/4
>   c2
>   <<
>     { c2  }
>
>     \new Staff \with {
>       \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
>       alignAboveContext = #"main"
>       firstClef = ##f
>     }
>     { \afterGrace c2( { b16[ c]) }
>  } >>
>   }
>
> What is wrong?

Arguably a bug in LilyPond: \afterGrace appears to be written in a
manner where using it without a pre-existing Voice context results in
multiple Voice contexts being created and a slur cannot reach from one
to another.  Usually this problem would not be noticed since it is rare
for \afterGrace to be used before a voice exists, and even then this
extra Voice context tends to be rather inconspicuous and does not lead
to visible problems like the unmatched slur.

So you should change the line

     { \afterGrace c2( { b16[ c]) }

     \new Voice { \afterGrace c2( { b16[ c]) }

in order to work around this problem.

--
David Kastrup