Re: 2.18.2 - Thoughts so far

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: 2.18.2 - Thoughts so far
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 08:32:06 +0200

Blöchl Bernhard <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 05.10.2015 02:29, schrieb Ivan Kuznetsov:
>> On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Karen S. Billings
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>>> How would somebody like me gain access to vi (and other Unix-like
>>> tools)?
>>

> Recommended: Trash Windows, free yourself and use Linux and Frescobaldi

Frescobaldi, like LilyPond, also runs under Windows.  Even though
Windows 10 is an excellent reason to take the plunge if one hasn't done
so already.

> Second best: http://www.vim.org/download.php/

LilyPond somewhere offers a lilydev VM that can be started under
Windows.  While Cygwin and MSYS offer ways to run UNIX utilities more or
less natively under Windows, there tend to be lots of little problems
and shortcomings that come up whenever you try porting or developing
software.  It is one of the reasons that nobody tries developing
LilyPond natively for Windows.  Instead our Windows offerings are
crosscompiled from GNU/Linux systems.

--
David Kastrup