Re: Box around multiple markups

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Box around multiple markups
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 16:19:29 +0200

Hi David,

thank you very much!

Am 26.09.2015 um 01:25 schrieb David Nalesnik:
Hi,

To do what you want, it would be best of course to have a new grob.

Defining new grobs has no user interface at the moment.  There is a regression text, input/regression/scheme-text-spanner.ly which does define one in an LY file.

I modeled the attached after that.  I've got the dashed boxes.

Did you do that *now* or have you pulled that out from some earlier work???

In any case it looks great already (see attachment)!

I didn't tackle the bracket-with-inner-prong(s)--maybe someone would like to give it a go?

What would also be very sufficient would be the same dashed box, only nested. However, I didn't manage to get that to work, even with additional helper voices.
What will work for this time is the slur you can see in the image. I didn't get it to behave properly above the texts but it will do.

The two solid lines surrounding the single text might be done by overriding the TextScript stencil.  (Though perhaps you want the flexibility to group multiple texts?  Properties might be added to our new grob to hide faces of the box.)

I will look into that later, when I'll have time again. These lines are actually redundant in the current example. I intended to indicate that this piece is separate from the others, but that becomes clear through the boxes already ...

Hope this helps...

Very much so.
The only thing still lacking for now is the box around the synchronuous items on the lyrics lines. The way to go for such a thing is probably to collect all syllables, then combine all objects at the same musical moment
then draw boxes around them. But I don't have the time to look into it (this will be shown on Sunday in Berlin (if anybody's there and interested ...)), and I can explain the facts without the box as well ...

Best
Urs

David

P. S.  I notice the invocation of lilypond-book at the top.  This file will raise problems if it is run on a batch of files.  The only way to do this right is to define the grob in the orthodox way.  (Since I know you work with self-compiled master, you could extract the relevant info and stick it in the appropriate files. Let me know if you want more info.)