Having some trouble getting LilyPond to run on the command line

From: Daniel Miller
Subject: Having some trouble getting LilyPond to run on the command line
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 22:28:35 -0400

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the mailing list. I'm hoping that someone can give me some help with getting LilyPond to run on the command line. I followed the steps at http://www.lilypond.org/macos-x.html for installation. I then got through step 3, creating lilypond-book, convert-ly, etc. However, I'm stuck on chmod u+x lilypond. That returns an error:

chmod: lilypond: No such file or directory.

Ultimately I want to use LilyPond with Abjad, so I need to get LilyPond setup as described here: http://abjad.mbrsi.org/installation.html

Running a simple Python programming calling LilyPond via the Abjad results in an error:

/bin/sh: lilypond: command not found
LilyPond rendering failed. Press any key to continue.

Any idea where I'm messing up?

Thanks!
Daniel