Re: Multiple scores in a single document

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Multiple scores in a single document
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 13:21:01 -0700 (MST)

On 9/22/2015 12:40 PM, Kieren MacMillan [via Lilypond] wrote:
Hi Wol (et al.),

> Multiple scores are for multiple movements of the same work.

Not precisely… \bookpart will always start a new page, and sometimes you want/need to start a new piece (n.b., not just another movement of the “same work”) without a page break.

> I wanted to put multiple parts in the same file and it's not as easy as it sounds.

I do it all the time. It’s actually quite simple, once you define custom titling (as implied by Abraham in his link).

Thanks, Kieren! I agree, it really is quite simple. The only thing you need to remember is this: any property that is defined in the book-level \header block will remain in effect within each score-level header block unless you re-define it or set it to ##f in the score's \header, but properties set in the score-level \header block is locally contained (i.e., score's don't share property values, but the book does).

T.M.,

You probably have figured this out already, but I thought I'd share this, just for the record if anyone else needs a starting point (note the re-definition of scoreTitleMarkup inside the \paper block that allows you to redefine title, composer, instrument, etc. for each individual \score):

%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\version "2.18.2"

music = \repeat unfold 12 { R1 }

\paper {
  scoreTitleMarkup = \markup {
    \column {
      \on-the-fly \print-all-headers { \bookTitleMarkup \hspace #1 }
      \fill-line {
        \huge \larger \larger \bold \fromproperty #'header:title
      }
      \fill-line {
        \fromproperty #'header:piece
        { \large \bold \fromproperty #'header:instrument }
        \fromproperty #'header:composer

\header {
  % this text will show up in any score that
  % doesn't set "title" to something else
  title = "My Multi-Score Songbook"
}

\score {
  { \clef treble \music }
  \header {
    title = "Score 1"
    instrument = "Clarinet"
    composer = \markup { \smallCaps "Beethoven" }

\score {
  { \clef alto \music }
  \header {
    title = "Score 2"
    instrument = "Violoncello"
    composer = \markup { \smallCaps "Mozart" }

which gives you the following (or see attached):

HTH,
Abraham