Re: Chords and what they mean

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Chords and what they mean
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:55:34 +0200

On Mon, 21 Sep 2015 11:00:13 +0200
David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Johan Vromans <address@hidden> writes:
> > It is easy to instruct LilyPond that a chord of form <c ees g> must be
> > shown as minor (e.g., Cm), but can I do the other way around? E.g.,
> > define a 'foo' so that X:foo means <c eis g> or whatever notes I want?
>
> Possible but obscure.  Take a look at the \powerChords command which
> does exactly that (but should be the default in my opinion as the
> behavior without it is not useful).

Maybe I do not get the full meaning of \powerChords, but all it seems to do
is print the chord name for a:1.5 as A5. What I was looking for is a way to
define that, for example,

  a:five  -> <a e> -> A5

So it is the *input* side I'd want to change.

Together with a chordNameException

  <c g>1-\markup {"5"}

This would give me all I want to handle every fancy chord combination I can
dream.

-- Johan