Re: mixed \time

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: mixed \time
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 21:53:45 +0200

Blöchl Bernhard <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks for help! Obviously the correct terms for manual search are
> "unmetered" or "cadencas" ... sorry, I did not know.
>
> If I understand that correctly
> \remove "Bar_engraver"
> and/or
> \remove "Default_bar_line_engraver"
> is not enough?

More like too much.

> My simple minded interpretation of that \remove something was to
> switch it off

What is "it"?  Removing an engraver removes functionality.  Some
functionality LilyPond cannot do without.

> to enabling me to set my personal barlines. Seems to be more
> complicated ...

The Internals Reference describes engravers.  The description for
Default_bar_line_engraver does not suggest that removing it would be a
good idea.  It describes several properties you might want to use for
influencing its behavior, though.

2.2.26 Default_bar_line_engraver
--------------------------------

This engraver determines what kind of automatic bar lines should be
produced, and sets ‘whichBar’ accordingly.  It should be at the same
level as *note Timing_translator::.

   Properties (read)

     ‘automaticBars’ (boolean)
          If set to false then bar lines will not be printed
          automatically; they must be explicitly created with a ‘\bar’
          command.  Unlike the ‘\cadenzaOn’ keyword, measures are still
          counted.  Bar line generation will resume according to that
          count if this property is unset.

     ‘barAlways’ (boolean)
          If set to true a bar line is drawn after each note.

     ‘defaultBarType’ (string)
          Set the default type of bar line.  See ‘whichBar’ for
          information on available bar types.

          This variable is read by *note
          (lilypond-internals)Timing_translator:: at *note
          (lilypond-internals)Score:: level.

     ‘measureLength’ (moment)
          Length of one measure in the current time signature.

     ‘measurePosition’ (moment)
          How much of the current measure have we had.  This can be set
          manually to create incomplete measures.

     ‘timing’ (boolean)
          Keep administration of measure length, position, bar number,
          etc.?  Switch off for cadenzas.

     ‘whichBar’ (string)
          This property is read to determine what type of bar line to
          create.

          Example:

               \set Staff.whichBar = ".|:"

          This will create a start-repeat bar in this staff only.  Valid
          values are described in ‘scm/bar-line.scm’.

   ‘Default_bar_line_engraver’ is part of the following context(s):
*note Score::.

--
David Kastrup