Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 13:59:59 +0000 (GMT)

I'm 57.  Full-time orchestra musician (bass trombone).  I've been using
LilyPond for at least 12 years, maybe longer.  First heard of it when there was
an announcement on the MusiXTeX list that version 0.0.1(?) was released having
grown from being a pre-processor to MusiXTeX.  It still required a working
MusiXTeX installation at the time.  I had discovered MusiXTeX after having
stumbled into (La)TeX when I downloaded an article I wanted to read which was
in *.dvi format.  Prior to this my music printing software was Finale.  At
first my editing environment was emacs.  Some months back I was trying to
interest a friend in using LilyPond and recommended that he use Frescobaldi as
his editor.  I had to try it out in order to show him how it worked.  I've
pretty much stuck with that as my editor since then.  My main use is for
arrangements I do or replacing lost/damaged parts or pages.  I've done a bit of
'engraving' for others as well.

-David