Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Michael Hendry
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 22:32:30 +0100

I’m a 68 year-old retired GP.

I took up guitar aged 15, playing folk and rock stuff by ear, although I had
learned piano long enough in primary school to know what a staff looked like,
and I played in folk clubs and bands until medicine took over.

After a long career break(!), I took up guitar again when I retired, and went
through a part-time jazz course at St Andrews University. Local musicians I
play with tend to use Band-in-a-Box for lead-sheets, but this didn’t work for
the course’s solo transcriptions, and essays which required notation mixed in
with the text.

I tried Sibelius, but was frustrated by the lack of transparency in what it did
(a simple modification tended to have hard-to-eradicate side-effects), and I
discovered LilyPond.

Having a hobbyist interest in electronics, I encountered microprocessors in the
1970s, and built a couple of kit computers in the late seventies and early
eighties, acquiring some programming experience in hand-assembly, assembler,
BASIC and Pascal in the eighties, and with C in the nineties.

My requirements of Lilypond are minimal in comparison to the professionals on
the list, and such challenges as I’ve put to the list appear to have been
solved within minutes by the experts!

As a poor reader, I’m grateful for the MIDI facility which helps me proof-read
my puny and time-consuming efforts at transcription.

It strikes me that Lilypond appeals to programmers who do a bit of music and
musicians who do a bit of programming - I’ve struggled to “sell” it to
musicians who aren’t into programming.

Michael