Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: OT: Beauty of programming languages
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 17:42:19 +0200

On 2015-09-10 15:57, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Just in case this doesn’t make it to the poll stage…

>>>This thread makes me wonder: what's the average age of LilyPond users and
developers?
>>Remind me in two weeks and I'll start a poll on Scores of Beauty ...
>I send in this reminder not because I'm especially interested in ages, but it
would be interesting to know more about stuff like editor usage and if LilyPond is
used for original compositions or for engraving existing compositions.
Age: I am 46 (as of two weeks ago)

Editor Usage: I recently switched to using Frescobaldi, after more than a
decade of using Lilypad (i.e., the built-in editor that ships with the Mac OS X
binary).

Lilypond Usage: I am a composer. (Actually, as of my birthday I’m now a full-time
composer: I “retired” from my erstwhile dual career in music and computer
programming.) So, naturally, >95% of my Lilypond usage is for engraving
original compositions. (I do transcribe/transpose/etc. a few existing compositions
from time to time, but that’s a very small part of my overall workflow.)

Thanks for sharing Kieren!

I think there will be a poll eventually, but here's a short description in response:

I'm 44 and a composer and developer.

If I'm not mistaken I started using LilyPond and Frescobaldi in the autumn 2012.

Apart from my small contribution to Das Trunkne Lied my work has been on my own original pieces.

Best
Peter