Alda "a music programming language for musicians" inspired by LilyPond

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Alda "a music programming language for musicians" inspired by LilyPond
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 15:17:00 -0400

I thought this might be of interest.  Alda is a LilyPond-inspired programming language for musicians to use to produce music, i.e. audio (midi, etc.).  I wonder why he didn’t just use LilyPond syntax, or at least follow it more closely?

http://daveyarwood.github.io/alda/2015/09/05/alda-a-manifesto-and-gentle-introduction/

https://github.com/alda-lang/alda

From the comments on that blog post:

"Are you familiar with LilyPond? It seems as though you've reinvented the wheel here."

"LilyPond is actually a major influence on Alda. The key difference between LilyPond and Alda is that LilyPond is a tool for generating typeset music, whereas Alda generates audible music. I'm aware that you can export MIDI from LilyPond scores, and at the moment Alda can only generate MIDI music, so for now, there probably aren't a lot of things that you can do with Alda that you can't already do by writing a LilyPond score and exporting it to MIDI, but in the future, Alda will support other kinds of music besides MIDI, e.g. sampled sounds, waveform synthesis.”

also:

"It would be great if Alda could output sheet music PDF’s"

"we do have plans to integrate LilyPond (http://lilypond.org), so that Alda can generate LilyPond scores from Alda scores."

-Paul