Re: dynamic outside staff

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: dynamic outside staff
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 10:48:52 +0200

Il giorno mer 3 giu 2015 alle 8:45, Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I would like that a "<" symbol span outside staff. This is my code

\version "2.18.2"
\time 4/4
\relative {
a\< b c d
e\! f g a
}

Do you mean that you want it to span over the bar line?
See the first snippet ("Setting hairpin behavior at bar lines"), scrolling down from here:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/expressive-marks-attached-to-notes.html#dynamics

I found in the documentation the following example:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/outside_002dstaff-objects

% Set details for later Text Spanner
\override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text
    = \markup { \small \bold Slower }
% Place dynamics above staff
\dynamicUp
% Start Ottava Bracket
\ottava #1
c'4 \startTextSpan
% Add Dynamic Text and hairpin
c4\pp\<
c4
% Add Text Script
c4^Text |
c4 c
% Add Dynamic Text and terminate hairpin
c4\ff c \stopTextSpan |
% Stop Ottava Bracket
\ottava #0
c,4 c c c |

This looks to me a very difficult example to understand. Can I suggest to
split this in multiple simplier example in the documentation?

That example must be complex because the chapter wants to show how to override several objects' position. The easier way to have a better understanding is clicking on the example, copying the snippet and testing it in Frescobaldi, where you can use two-way point-and-click, change the snippet, etc.

It would be nice if the documentation had something similar, see: