Re: Re:Quoted music and midi (Cynthia Karl)

From: 70147persson
Subject: Re: Re:Quoted music and midi (Cynthia Karl)
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 12:31:15 +0200

Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 16:00:10 -0600
From: Cynthia Karl <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Quoted music and midi
I wouldn?t consider that a problem... if I quote the violin part in a
trumpet part, I wouldn?t expect to hear the brass honking away in the
MIDI rendition.  Quoting, IMO, is best for cues, not for actual
duplicating played music.

~Chris
Here's what the Notation Manual has to say about quoteDuring:

Quoting other voices
It is very common for one voice to use the same notes as those from another
voice. For example,
first and second violins playing the same phrase during a particular passage of
the music. This
is done by letting one voice quote the other, without having to re-enter the
music all over again
for the second voice.
It doesn't say anything about borrowing the midiInstrument as well as quoting
the notes.  It seems to me that the snippet I submitted is exactly the
situation described by the NM.  The only question is, why no midi output for
the quoted notes?
Poke.

Really?  Nobody (else) has an opinion on this (that agrees with mine)?  Am I
qualified to submit a bug report?  I have read some comments that imply that
bug reports from Joe User are not welcome.

Hi Cynthia

I saw your message first now, as I have run into the same problems, and was searching for feedback from the community. At the time of your writing, I had other issues. I must say the comments from Chris and H. S. Teoh were not too clever. They have obviously not discovered the point, if this tool works as intended, not having to divide the music into a lot of separate parts, which else has to be done as a workaround.

However I found a bug report from already 2012, issue 2250, https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2250. There one proposes a workaround, (\set Score.quotedEventTypes = #'(StreamEvent note-event rest-event) ). That helped me a wee, but not the whole way out, unfortunately.

/Kaj