staff margins?

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: staff margins?
Date: Sat, 2 May 2015 09:20:04 +0200

Stupid question: I'm looking to specify the margins for the music staff, as separate from the margins for the printable area. This is trivial for most cases (the staff margin is set to zero, or depends on instrument names, for two sides), but for the bottom and top margin I'd like to specify an explicit distance between the printable area and the start of the staff itself (such that space is left for text or annotations, etc.).

I can't seem to find a variable that controls that. Anybody mind briefly pointing it out to me?