Re: Questions about the edition engraver

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Questions about the edition engraver
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 00:52:23 +0200

Am 28.04.2015 um 23:03 schrieb Noeck:
1. Can I use the same tweak at several points in time? Or do I have to
add and \editionMod every time.
In a recent list post (by Urs, I think) I saw an \editionModList command to do this.
2. What do the letters mean in edition.Staff.A?
    A numbering? How can I know which voice is which?
    Can I test that (like \displayEngraverNameHere)?

3. How can I address a temporary voice in some measure?
    a) One with << · \\ · >>?
    b) One with << · \new Voice { · } >>?

4. What does the word 'edition' after the \editionEngraver mean?
    Can I choose this name? Why would I need more than one?

5. Can I put tweaks with the edition engraver?
    Like coloring the second of three note heads in a chord?
    { <c \tweak #'color #red e g> }

And more style-guide like:

6. Would you consider \voiceOne etc. content or layout? \noBeam?
    \tempo? \bar? I.e. would you enter it in the musical content
    or via the edition engraver?
I’d phrase it this way: everything that is decided by the composer/arranger is content, everything that is decided by the typesetter/editor is presentation. Where exactly the border is to be drawn, depends. But for the examples you gave, I’m pretty sure they belong to the content.
7. Would you write a Dynamics context using spacer rests or entirely
    using the edition engraver? { s1\p | s | s\ff … } or { s1*55 } and
    the rest is done by the edition engraver? Is that possible at all?

8. And unrelated to the edition engraver: What do you prefer:
    a8\noBeam a16 a   or   a8 a16[ a] ?
Well, I’d say they’re completely synonymous, so it’s up to your likings.

Yours, Simon