Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 14:46:10 +0100

On Wed, 2015-04-22 at 14:01 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2015-04-22 at 08:31 -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > > Interesting, I didn't realize that this was a reason to use a front-end
> > > to generate the LilyPond. With the Denemo front end it is Del,M to
> > > delete a measure in all the staffs.
> >
> > Does that work even when the code is abstracted into one or more shared
> > global variables, etc.?
> > Or does Denemo not allow that flexibility of structure?
>
> Denemo offers two or three sorts of LilyPond output,

I see I was omitting the most relevant bit for the current audience -
Denemo can be easily scripted by the user to output any abstraction you
wish to generate in whatever files you wish to place it. That is, once
you have entered your notes etc you can run a scheme script to write the
corresponding LilyPond syntax to any file(s) you like. What Denemo
offers you is a visual impression of the notes etc as you enter them,
and the fastest and most musical way of getting all that input done.

Even the task entering figured bass (a series of numbers to indicate
harmony) I have scripted in Denemo to be done by playing the notes,
because you can hear any mistakes as you enter the harmony, and playing
in notes that harmonize is much more pleasant than typing in figures.

Richard