Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 09:08:12 -0400

Hi Gilles (et al.),

> Whether or not funds will be obtained is a question that comes only
> after people at various levels are made aware that LilyPond exists.

I totally agree. We should be pushing for Lilypond to be taken up by as many
educational and commercial [!!] institutions as possible, and making it easier
for them to do so — that’s the only way to raise awareness (and, eventually,
acceptance or even embrace) of Lilypond. Hence my enthusiastic support of Urs’s
line of thinking.

With regard to higher education, I’ve often thought that the development and
marketing/support of a “turnkey course” in Lilypond — including “one click”
application installation, and all necessary (and well-designed) teaching
materials and files — would go a long way to helping raise awareness of
Lilypond in the [very large] education market. And, as borne out time and time
again, getting students interested in something is a agreat way of turning them
into lifelong users.

> What I had in mind was creating the scores which music schools use
> for teaching music (solfege and instrument).

You should definitely do that!

> Here, (public) music schools were forced to pay publishers a yearly
> contribution under threats of legal action against them because of
> their use of photocopies, even though most of the copyrighted
> material being copied is actually based on public domain contents

As I pointed out in a previous post, that’s an issue better taken up with the
legislation in a given country (or worldwide).

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info