Re: mutopia's shortcomings

From: Gilles
Subject: Re: mutopia's shortcomings
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 02:22:58 +0200

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 19:07:46 -0400, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi all,

Seems to me it has been quite successful in its goals of making sheet music easily available for free, all works in the public domain or under creative commons licenses, in (user-editable, user-improvable) LilyPond format, pdf, and midi — all with volunteer labor. Looks like the total is over 1900 works now.

Other than the “user-editable, user-improvable” issue, all of those
things are far better done by IMSLP. Put another way, looking at IMSLP
(with 310,000 scores) and Mutopia (with 1,900), the shine quickly
comes off Mutopia for anyone except the handful of hardcore DIY
musicians who (e.g.,) want to take a violin piece from Mutopia and
make a guitar arrangement.

I think it would be far better — and probably result in better
visibility/marketing for Lilypond — if Mutopia were merged into IMSLP. (There appears to have been a thought in this direction at some point,
but not any more; cf.

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Community_Projects/Mutopia_score_archive).
Then, for important works, there would be the Lilypond source,
side-by-side with scans of existing editions. But it seems this was
considered, and rejected for exactly the reasons that Mutopia now
flounders (cf.

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP_talk:Community_Projects/Mutopia_score_archive).

Some pieces accessible on IMSLP were typeset for Mutopia, with a
"publisher" link to Mutopia's site.
So visibility of LilyPond can be achieved through publishing to
IMSLP in addition to Mutopia.