[OT] Re: Do we really offer the future?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: [OT] Re: Do we really offer the future?
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 14:18:19 -0400

Hi Gilles,

On Apr 20, 2015, at 1:19 PM, Gilles <address@hidden> wrote:
> When people put convenience above all, they start giving up their freedom.

My experience — this thread being no different so far — is that such
discussions always end up in absolutist terms (moral and otherwise). It’s
almost a defining quality of the FLOSS movement, from what I can tell.

Ultimately, such positions are neither realistic, nor productive, nor
particularly interesting to me (or many other people I know).

I don’t grow my own food, because buying my food — even the organic food I
purchase regularly, in person, from farmers I know by name — is not only more
convenient, but also cheaper and more freeing than growing, harvesting, and
processing it myself. That freedom allows me to do other things that are more
important to me, like composition, and using Lilypond to engrave my
compositions, instead of heading out at 5AM to feed and milk my cows before the
hard 16-hour day tending my subsistence crops.

I don’t put convenience above all; I make choices that make sense to me and
those around me, in my real-world life.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer