Re: Survey: Large scores

From: Hwaen Ch'uqi
Subject: Re: Survey: Large scores
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 18:52:00 -0400

On 4/16/15, Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> wrote:
> That being said, orchestral music is not what's the most difficult to
> engrave (even dual-voices staves remain somewhat simple overall, even
> with unmetered contemporary notation, microtones, feathered beams
> etc.). To me, complex keyboard music is probably the worst, when it
> involves cross-staff polyphony, complex pedal and dynamic indications.
> At any rate, when it comes to written music, no matter how complex or
> sophisticated huge, I most certainly am not planning to use anything
> else than LilyPond, ever. And especially not in favor of a non-free
> program.
>
> Regards,
> Valentin.

Greetings Urs and All,

Please allow me to somewhat echo Valentin's sentiments. Having
produced scores as a composer for a variety of forces, I find that
performance scores for piano, four hands are particularly difficult to
realize. Typesetting is fairly straightforward, but aligning
corresponding parts across facing pages can be a nightmare! I
interpret "large" to include the element of time consumption, and the
process of matching corresponding parts by trial and error  is a time
killer indeed! I am currently preparing for publication the score of
my Twenty-Five Preludes for Piano, Four  Hands; it is just over 160
pages of music, excluding prefatory material, and the task is surely
daunting! Nevertheless, I would never abandon LilyPond, the project
which has contributed so much toward my own livelihood. I only regret
that I must use extralilypond programs on occasion - such as pdftk -
in order to put together scores for piano, four hands.

Hwaen Ch'uqi