Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: (hypothetical) Availability of LilyPond engravers
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 02:31:39 +0200

Am 17.04.2015 um 02:16 schrieb Jay Anderson:
On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
If I should be asked to engrave a big score (as fast as possible) in a
commercial context and wouldn't want to reply "well, I will ask around and
see how many people I can get together", what could I say? Would it be
realistic to say that we could (at any time) provide a team of 10 quailfied
engravers working full time on a project? Or 15-20 working half time?
And what if it were a request for continuous work? Is it realistic to say
there are always enough engravers at hand to accept work?
Considering the public responses there seems to be quite a few people
qualified and able. We'll see if you get 20 responses. The liedboek
team did sometime similar. They may have good insights.

I feel that one aspect that makes publishers hesitate to consider LilyPond
is exactly this question: They know that there will always be a sufficient
number of available and qualified Finale and Sibelius users, and presumably
even Score users, but they don't have an idea about this with LilyPond.

Any opinions or estimates?
Sounds like a great idea. I'd be very willing, though I most likely
wouldn't be able to work full time.

----Jay

Hey all,

thank you for your responses, I won't reply to all of them individually.
Just to make this clear: The question _is_ hypothetical. But I am really interested in getting an impression about how powerful our community is when it comes to providing professional service.

The question I had to answer today (or to find a way around answering honestl) is: "If we (hypothetically) commissioned you to produce a large opera in publication quality and with a tight schedule, would LilyPond be able to cope with that, and would you be able to provide the appropriate manpower and experience so we can be comfortably expect delivery and quality?"

This made me think of that question. It would be a sad irony if we wouldn't be able to provide that - not because of deficiencies of our software but simply because to lack of the right number of users.

Urs