"Pipe"-shaped accents

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: "Pipe"-shaped accents
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2015 09:03:11 +0200

As I mentioned a few days ago, I'm transcribing some 18th-century liturgical music. I have a couple questions about representing the older notation in a more historically-informed manner.

First, the music indicates what I assume to be accent or staccato marks with a vertical line, somewhat like a pipe symbol (namely "|" [not to be confused with the letters "l" or "I"]), and I don't see any particular articulation that matches it well. The staccatissimo might work in some fonts, but I'd prefer if I could use something more closely corresponding to the historical shape. Is there one?

Second, a general question about score layout: what is the best means to adding tempo indications ("adagio", etc.) such that they always appear at the top of the score, regardless of whether the nominally topmost voice appears? I'd prefer to have a voice somewhere used solely for managing system breaks and tempo indications, if possible.

Third: the figured bass part (for "organo") is fairly extensive, but we want (so far as I can tell) only the figured bass line with symbols in the score, with the potential for a basic realization in the part. Is there a way to hide an empty voice in the score view, but to display that staff (in this case the treble staff) only when printing the part?