Seeking piano template: Dynamics, pedals, articulate, and MIDI

From: Joel C. Salomon
Subject: Seeking piano template: Dynamics, pedals, articulate, and MIDI
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 23:58:12 -0500

I’ve seen snippets and templates for all the parts of this, but I have
not found an example that puts everything together:

Is there somewhere a template, or a short example, for a piano score
with all of these:

* tempo markings
* treble staff
* dynamics
* bass staff
* pedal dynamics

formatted in such a way that the score can be laid out and also have a
MIDI file generated—where all of these:

* unfolded repeats
* tempo changes,
* fermata lengthening,
* volume changes, and
* pedal dynamics

will be included in the MIDI output?

My current effort looks something like this:

    \score {
        \context PianoStaff <<
            \new Staff = "up" { \clef treble \rhmusic }
            \new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
            \new Staff = "lower" { \clef bass \lhmusic }
            \new Dynamics = "pedalDynamics" \pedalDynamics

        \layout{ }
    }
    \score {
        \context PianoStaff <<
            \set PianoStaff.midiInstrument = "acoustic grand"
            \new Staff { \clef treble \unfoldRepeats \articulate \rhmusic }
            \new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
            \new Staff { \clef bass \unfoldRepeats \articulate \lhmusic }
            \new Dynamics = "pedalDynamics" \pedalDynamics

    %   \layout{ }  % uncomment for debugging
        \midi  { }
    }

I’ve put the tempo marks in \dynamics and that gets displayed properly
and picked up in the MIDI result, but I cannot figure out how to apply
the documentation examples of fermata lengthening, volume changes, or
pedals, to the MIDI output. (I’m using VLC, Fluidsynth, and a very
large “sound font”, so I assume I would hear the result of \sustainOn
if it were in the MIDI file.)

—Joel