Re: glissando to a nearby modified pitch doesn't always work inside a tr

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: glissando to a nearby modified pitch doesn't always work inside a triplet
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 21:56:09 +0100

Hi Joe,

> I'm new here and don't know if I can send attachments, so I'll try some
> code with proza:
>
> \version "2.16.2"
> \relative c' {
>   % The following doesn't show the (guitar) slide
>   % that I need in this triplet:
>
>   \times 2/3 { dis'8\glissando[ d( c)] }
>
>   % It's not that the slide is obscured by the d-line:
>
>   \times 2/3 { cis8\glissando[ c( b)] }
>
>   % And it's not that the slide doesn't work at all,
>   % because here it does:
>
>   % \times 2/3 { e\glissando d( c) }
>
>   % I think it's because of the modifier in d#:
>
>   \times 2/3 { e\glissando dis( c)}
>
>   % Although 'coming from below' works:
>
>   \times 2/3 { e,\glissando dis'( c)}
> }
>

> Play this in your 2.16.2, then you'll see what I mean.
> My OS does not let me upgrade yet to 2.18, that's why I'm using 2.16.2.

Upgrade manually, it's a child's play

> My guess is that there is not enough space between the two notes where
> the glissando needs to be because the pitch modifier occupies so much
> horizontal space that lilypond 'decides' that the lenght of the line
> indicating the glissando isn't enough to be visible so that it would
> be better to drop the glissando altogether.
>
> Any hints how to get this triplet show the intended slide and pull off?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

Try the following code (adjust the number for 'minimum-length to fit your needs)
Some comments inline.

\version "2.16.2"
\relative c' {

  \override Glissando #'minimum-length = #10
  %% overriding Glissando 'minimum-length needs
  %% the following additional override
  \override Glissando #'springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods

  %% You may want to override 'extra-dy as well:
  \once \override Glissando #'extra-dy = #-0.5
  \times 2/3 { dis'8\glissando[ d( c)] }

  \once \override Glissando #'extra-dy = #-0.5
  \times 2/3 { cis8\glissando[ c( b)] }

}

HTH,
  Harm