Re: Unresolvable rest collision?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Unresolvable rest collision?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 10:41:38 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted Lemon" <address@hidden>
To: "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2014 2:37 PM

On Dec 22, 2014, at 9:26 AM, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
\new Voice = "bass-a" { \voiceOne \relative c \vba }
\new Voice = "bass-b" { \voiceTwo \relative c \vbb }
\new Voice = "bass-c" { \voiceThree \relative c \vbc }

Thanks, that fixed it. The placement of the rests isn't exactly what I want when I let Lilypond do it automatically, although now with the explicit voice markings it's at least sensible. I am a bit puzzled that even with explicit marking, I don't actually have that much control over where the head of the rest lands. I want the bottom rest head to be at e, and the top at e', but when I specify that, they wind up at f and f' respectively, and changing for example to d and d' doesn't change the position of the rest.

(Obviously not a problem that really needs to be solved, but I found it curious that one could specify the note on which a rest would land, but that that specification would be treated so loosely.)

According to typesetting rules (see Behind Bars by Elaine Gould, for example) rests should remain consistently placed with respect to staff lines. This means that when they are moved, they should be moved in 2 pitch increments, not one.

--
Phil Holmes