Re: edition-engraver and partcombine

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: edition-engraver and partcombine
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 07:07:07 -0500

Hi Urs,

Definitions:
“Piece” or “work” means the music, i.e., the musical/textual content
independent of presentation.
“Score” means an engraved presentation of the piece (including full scores,
parts, etc.).

> "edition engraver" sounds like a tool that engraves an edition.

Yes — that’s exactly how I use it:
1. Every time I make a major adjustment to a work (e.g., add music, add
annotations, etc.), I use a new edition to store/execute any tweaks across all
scores.
2. Every time I make a major adjustment (e.g., change font size, layout
choices, etc.) to a score, I use a new edition to store/execute the necessary
tweaks for [only] that score.

I also use “editions” to store/execute separate tweaks to two different
presentations of the same music — e.g., the “original breaks and fingerings”
version versus my arrangement/transcription/marked version.

> I wouldn't call a printed part and a full score two editions.

Neither would I… to me, those are two outputs within a single edition (your
word “target” also being a good alternative word).

> I am adding mods for a given target, like full score vs. part, or e-book vs.
> printed version etc.

For me, that’s done *within* an edition.

But maybe this is all semantics…  =)

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer