Re: Postscript question.

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Postscript question.
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 14:34:04 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hwaen Ch'uqi" <address@hidden>
To: "tisimst" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 2:20 PM

On 12/8/14, tisimst <address@hidden> wrote:
Hwaen,

Unfortunately, the double-flat is not a composite of two single flats, at
least not in LilyPond. It is a single "character" and, thus, there is no
spacing to adjust. I suppose you could re-code the accidental engine to use
two single flats, but that's probably more than you wanted deal with.

What is it you don't like and how far apart do you want them to be? Maybe
you could show us a screenshot of what you want.

-Abraham

Greetings Abraham,

Thank you for your quick response, and sorry for my slow reply. Your
clarification regarding the doubleflat stencil was as I had suspected.
But then this spurred the desire to affect my own doubleflat sign, one
that is as clear yet compact as the doublesharp. So I have been
exploring the snippets and bits of information in the NR regarding the
use of postscript and path. I do have two questions which I am sure
are wildly basic. If I will write some postscript commands, where is
considered the origin? In the case of an accidental, would it be the
notehead which it is altering? Second, is there a way of seeing the
postscript which was used to create an existing stencil?

Thank you so much.

Hwaen Ch'uqi

Strictly, I believe the symbols such as the flat and double-flat are called glyphs, not stencils. They are not created in PostScript, but in MetaFont.

--
Phil Holmes