Re: MIDI and Volta repeats in parallel music

From: Peter Chubb
Subject: Re: MIDI and Volta repeats in parallel music
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 14:33:41 +1100

Michael> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 4:46 PM, <address@hidden>
Michael> wrote:
>> What's more, is there a reason to have the structure in a different
>> voice?

Michael> Good question. For me, it's mostly about the DRY principle
Michael> (don't repeat yourself).  I'm in the process of writing a
Michael> program that tries to maximize one's opportunities to exploit
Michael> the repetitive aspects of most compositions when entering the
Michael> notation for multiple voices.  It's a work in progress, but
Michael> if you're curious it lives at
Michael> https://github.com/Michael-F-Ellis/TransLily

My point I think is that the structure is the structure of the voice,
not the structure of the staff.  Which is why, BTW, the MIDI repeats
don't unfold.

Visibly the structure voice shows the repeats, but the repeats aren't
actually in the music voice.

So when you unfold you get:
   <<
     \music
     { \structure \structure \structure }

Michael> As for the whole \repeat unfold business, I'd love to
Michael> understand why LP can merge repeats in the PDF but can't do
Michael> it MIDI.  I know the developers are really smart folks, so it
Michael> must be way more challenging than I'm imagining.

t can't merge them in the PDF either.  But when it prints them as
repeat symbols, you can't tell from the printout.

Try this:
---
\version "2.18.0"

music= <<
    \new Staff <<
      \new Voice \relative c' { c4 c c c }
      \new Voice \relative c' { \repeat volta 2 { s1 }}

\score {
  \music
}

\score {
  \unfoldRepeats \music
}

---
And look at the PDF.  The second system shows the unfolded structure.

Peter C