Re: Automatic ottava handling

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Automatic ottava handling
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 08:12:47 -0500

Hi Gilberto,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 3:23 AM, Gilberto Agostinho <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David, this is a really wonderful job, thank you so much for sharing it! I
am adding your function to every score of mine right now :)

David Nalesnik-2 wrote
> Standard practice is that an ottava should extend across rests if the note
> afterwards takes the ottava, too.  If the rest is sufficiently long, the
> ottava is broken.

About this comment above, would it be possible to implement another variable
in your function which would take care of the maximal rest value between two
consecutive ottaved notes? This way, some users can just set it to 0 to
avoid any ottavation above rests, while others can set it to their own
personal values to generate a more traditionally looking score. What do you
think about this, how difficult would it be to implement this?

Thanks a lot and take care,
Gilberto

Yes, the function needs some way to collect pitches and rests in order to do various calculations.  Then it could do as you say.  Also, it could examine groups of notes for outliers which shouldn't break the ottava for readability purposes.  (There's an example of that somewhere earlier in the thread.)

I've been working on making sure what I have now produces the same expressions as a score with manual ottavas does before I venture into enhancing it.  I hit a problem with << >> (SimultaneousMusic), but I have your request in mind   I do realize that these "enhancements" make the difference between usability and "thanks, nice toy" :)

Best,
David