Re: Multiple stanzas to selection of melody

From: Marten
Subject: Re: Multiple stanzas to selection of melody
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 22:09:55 +0000 (UTC)

tisimst <tisimst.lilypond <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
> > Am 29.07.2014 01:28, schrieb Marten:
> >> Hello Abraham, Simon,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your solutions and quick replies :)
> >>
> >> I decided to try to implement Simon's third solution, as it explicitly
> >> keeps the melody of the stanzas together with their texts.
> >>
> >> Ingenious - hadn't thought about a solution like that.
> >>
> >> I have two question about it though:
> >> 1. If I use \addlyrics instead of \new Lyrics for the stanzas, an
ambitus
> >> will be rendered for the stanza and the refrain *separately* (a layout
> >> block activating the ambitus, must of course be added). If I use \new
> >> Lyrics, as in your solution, only one ambitus for the entire song is
> >> rendered (expected behaviour). Why is this so?
> > I find the question a bit confusing. Looking at Abrahams example (in
the
> > answer he wrote) makes me wonder why you use separate voices for
refrain
> > and verse. I can’t see any necessity to do so and it contradicts the
> > logic of the music: after all, refrain and stanza are not sung by
> > different singers. If you use two different voices, it’s only natural
> > that each gets an ambitus of its own. What would you expect?
> >>
> >> 2. If the stanza melody begins with a rest, the text gets aligned under
> >> the
> >> rest. Why?
> > Please try once more to understand the difference in the mechanisms of
> > my first and second examples: in the one with \addlyric, an association
> > between lyrics and the voice is created and each syllable is associated
> > with one note (thus, rests are skipped).
> > The other way does not use direct relation between lyrics and notes:
> > both are entered separately, with their own durations, and it’s up to
> > you to get the alignment in time correct. Lilypond will print
everything
> > at the point of time where you put it, and if a rest and a lyric
> > syllable come at the same point of time, they will be aligned.
> > I hope you tried at least to understand the topic yourself from the
> > lenghty and fully sufficient description in the manuals, to which I
> > pointed you. Sometimes it takes a little time to comprehend, but it
will
> > save the time of the friendly persons on this list who help you with
> > real problems.
> >
> > Best regards, Simon

> Simon,
>
> I knew I had seen this somewhere and didn't just make it up (as shown in
the
> official docs):
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/solo-verse-and-
two_002dpart-refrain
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/solo-verse-and-
two_002dpart-refrain>

> I think your answer may still be better, by the way, in response to the
> original question :)
>
> Good work,
> [...]

Hello Simon, thanks for your explanation.

Yes I do understand the difference between \addlyrics and \new Lyrics.

The point is that when I replace one of the \new Lyrics with \addlyrics,
that an extra ambitus appears. As I understand it, the ambitus engraver is
triggered to restart counting by specifying \addlyrics when more than one
Voice is present.

Since I could not get this to work for me with a single ambitus appearing,
I decided to change to the method of your first example. A bit ugly in my
opinion to add two lines with underscores to each stanza in order to skip
the refrain, but the result then is correct :) To me this solution is still
more pleasantly editing than specifying a duration in the text, but that's
a matter of taste, I guess.

The solution Abraham pointed to also uses two voices, and for that reason
also two ambituses will appear. (I tested this.)

[On a sidenote: the problem of adding a text to only a part of a melody
could be very smoothly solved if Lilypond provided the option to add a name
to a certain part of the melody. The text might then be added as \lyricsto
<partname>.]

Anyway: problem solved. Thanks!