Re: Question for all LilyPond users (especially power users)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Question for all LilyPond users (especially power users)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:57:12 +0200

Am 11.07.2014 08:20, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Schneidy wrote
I did that, but I let it unfinished for a couple of weeks now...
see =>
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/LilyJAZZ-in-v2-18-td162423.html#a162444

Pierre

Yes! Thank you, Pierre, for your good work! I had fun making some updates to
it. I think there are enough people interested in the Jazzy hand-written
font that we should get this incorporated better. Since it is only available
in "binary" font formats, is openlilylib the best place to put it?

The only thing is, if we want to make the use of LilyJAZZ easier, it really
needs the patched file that I mentioned in the initial post.

Putting binary files in openlilylib may not be the best possible
option (btw, how big they are and how muhc they are expected to
change?) but it would be waaaaay better than the current situation
(i.e. with the LilyJazz stuff scattered all over the mailing list,
which is a sure way to hinder its acceptance and make our lives
difficult).

I would also say the actual openlilylib/openlilylib repository might not be ideal, but I think we could open a dedicated repository like openlilylib/alternative-fonts.

I think the "cleanest" way with the least hassles (and maybe discussion) would be to integrate into LilyPond the _possibility_ to switch fonts (e.g. Abraham's functions) and provide the fonts independently. While it would be of course the nicest thing to have them all readily available that seems like a reasonable burden for the user. Actually, if you want to change fonts in other programs it's also the natural way that you have to get and install them separately.

I don't have time to handle this issue myself, but i'll wholeheartedly
welcome anyone doing something about it.

I don't really have time either but I can take care of stuff that is related to the openlilylib "organization".

Urs

cheers,
Janek