Re: minor chords

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: minor chords
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 20:54:25 -0400

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 22:03:49 -0400
Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Simon (et al.),
>
> > I think this is one of the few questions where it’s really
> > difficult to establish a standard.
>
> Agreed.
> It’s the one big disappointment that I have in Gould’s
> engraving book: she doesn’t even address the subject at all!!
>
> > Plus: there’s still some leap between the lilypond standard
> > output – which one may usually take as „standard” indeed –
> > and other options which are available if one looks for them.
>
> I’ve always found the Lilypond chord names default(s) to be
> totally unacceptable; I have a ChordNames.ly standard include,
> which changes font, size, placement, and contains an almost
> complete rewrite of the chord symbols.

There was a standard that arose because of the extensive
expansion of chord names necessary for bop. Lead sheet
writers abandoned all symbols except the sharp and flat,
and the only useful addition has been the slash basses
of the sixties. I remember how much I hated the triangle
for maj7 on sight, because the triangle hastily drawn can
be mistaken for almost anything. This 1940's usage was contrary
to the love for cryptic symbols like the little o's that
were introduced in pop music.

I got over disliking the C6 for a first inversion Bm7.

Even a C4 or Csus is tolerable, but Csus4 is better.

C2 is better than C9omit7, but there is nothing wrong with
the latter. It's a matter of style.

Since any chord can be easily typed with an ordinary
font, the newest standard, from the 1940's, is IMO the
best. I enter chords as text anyway. You can find a sharp and flat
in most fonts, or just use # and b:

Gm13(#7b5#9#11)/g but Gmmaj7, Gmmaj79

Why can't I enter chords as they will print with your system? It's
not even an option now.

Regards, Rale

--
For All Guitar Beginners: The pages of very easy solos missing
from all of the published guitar methods of others.