Re: Humble question, text at the second note in a ligature

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Humble question, text at the second note in a ligature
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2014 16:02:02 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Son_V" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2014 1:55 PM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Son_V" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2014 3:52 PM

:-( didn't work - I'm sure it should be a simple thing, but after a lot of
work on the score I'm going out of my head ...

It's one note that lasts 4 + 2 beats, the word "Mi" is on its own
place, but
"bien" isn't on the 2 beats note ....
Thanks.

Well, that makes no sense at all.  You can't sing two syllables to a
single note.

Well, when singing Monteverdi's Vespers, I remember having to fit about
a dozen of syllables to some single notes.

Take a look at
<URL:http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/311853>, page 10.  Or
probably more convincingly interspersed with "normal" syllable
distributions several times on page 11.

--
David Kastrup

I don't personally see examples of two syllables per note there: there are a few where the words could be hyphenated better, that's all I can see.

As it is, Italian song in any case is littered with tied syllables: the attached image from Don Giovanni has 3 in 5 notes! But these aren't sung as separate syllables; they're elided one into the next. The OP was asking for separate syllables on each of two tied notes. That makes no sense and every singer would need to cross the tie out to sight read it at speed.

--
Phil Holmes