Re: legato lyrics

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: legato lyrics
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2014 08:27:17 -0700 (PDT)

Martin Tarenskeen wrote
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2014, Phil Holmes wrote:
>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Tarenskeen"
>> <

> m.tarenskeen@

> lilypond-user@

>> Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 9:59 AM
>> Subject: legato lyrics
>>

>>>  Hi,
>>>
>>>  In the following example, why are the lyrics correct in the first bars,
>>>  but are failing when I add a legato slur ??
>>>

>>>  \version "2.19.8"
>>>
>>>  mymelody =  \relative c' {
>>>    c4 c4 g'4 g4 |
>>>    a4 a4 g2 |
>>>    \break
>>>
>>>    c,4( c4 g'4 g4 |
>>>    a4 a4 g2) \bar "|."
>>>  }
>>>
>>>  mylyrics =  \lyricmode { Twin- kle twin- kle lit- tle star }
>>>
>>>  \score {
>>>    <<
>>>      \new Staff <<
>>>        \context Voice = "mymelody" { \mymelody }
>>>        \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mymelody" { \mylyrics \mylyrics }
>>> > >

>>>    \layout {}
>>>  }
>>>

>> Because this is how singers expect melisma to be expressed: please see
>> melisma in the NR.  The simplest option (if you really want to confuse
>> your
>> singers) is to use a phrasing slur.
>

> I see. Thank you.
>
> --
>
> MT

I second what Phil said. However, here's a reasonable solution that I think
you were looking for. There are two issues with your snippet that you'll
want to know about for future scores:

1. How you write multi-syllable lyrics. Instead of "Twin- kle" when you want
to add a hyphen, LilyPond can add a nicely centered one by adding a double
hyphen between the two syllables, like "Twin -- kle". Notice a space on both
sides of the double hyphen.

2. If you really want to have that slur (it is appropriate at times), then
you can make LilyPond ignore what Phil was talking about by putting "\set
melismaBusyProperties = #'()" in the body of the notes, prior to the legato
section.

To sum up, here's the updated score with the two suggestions I mentioned
(highlighted):

\version "2.18.2"

mymelody =  \relative c' {
  c4 c4 g'4 g4 |
  a4 a4 g2 |
  \break

  /*\set melismaBusyProperties = #'()*/

  c,4( c4 g'4 g4 |
  a4 a4 g2) \bar "|."
}

mylyrics =  \lyricmode { Twin /*--*/ kle twin /*--*/ kle lit /*--*/ tle star
}

\score {
  <<
    \new Staff <<
      \context Voice = "mymelody" { \mymelody }
      \new Lyrics \lyricsto "mymelody" { \mylyrics \mylyrics }

  \layout {}
}

which results in the following:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n164029/legato-lyrics-solution.png>