Re: string numbers (fingering instructions) as roman numerals?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: string numbers (fingering instructions) as roman numerals?
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 08:48:49 -0500

Hi Philip,

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 6:03 PM, Philip Eliot <address@hidden> wrote:

I would agree, hence the question. I thought there might be a built in option to do that. Having searched through the documentation, I'm fairly certain there is no built in way to do it. At one point in the documentation, it has an example of using \mark "II" to mark string numbers on a violin score. While not only clunsier than being able to take advantage of the \2 string notation, it also didn't work for me because I am writing for mandolin not violin, and have a parallel tab staff. The built in \2 string number notation leads to correct tab notation, while the \mark "II" would not.

Your solution was simple and elegant, perhaps it is worth suggesting it be implemented as an option in a future release?

I'm thinking about it, but in my (limited) experience nothing is ever simple when it comes to working it into the code base.  One thing that occurs to me is that string designations for bowed instruments aren't generally circled, so there would probably need to be a property 'no-circle (along with 'roman-numeral).  Things would get considerably more complex if naming by string-pitch were supported.

--David