Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: LilyJAZZ in v2.18
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:31:45 +0200

Am 26.05.2014 16:38, schrieb Pierre Perol-Schneider:

What exactly do you mean?

Dear Urs,
When I started to make scores with LilyJAZZ few days ago it was, of course,
with instruments I'm familiar with (guitar, bass, trumpet). And that helped
me to find some enhancement.
Now the purpose of this thread was to get feedbacks from other RealBook
users (e.g. pianists, percussionists, etc.) who could tell what needs to be
improved/enhenced/created for their instruments.
What I meant is that I think LilyJAZZ still needs to be tested some more
before being put in the snippet repo.
Juste a small example : I've started the FontForge tutorial during the
weekend to see how to manage the apostrophe but also how to create a small
"m" in order to avoid any confusion between major and minor chords.
Right now I don't have much time to work on LilyJAZZ but I'm thinking of a
"small" regression test dedicated to the RealBook style that would cover a
certain range of jazz instument familly, each with their specific
annotations.
Cheers,
Pierre

OK, I see what you mean.
But I'd still propose to include it in the snippets repository as soon as possible. "Our" repository is significantly different from LilyPond itself, and also from the official LSR. Having incomplete, buggy or experimental snippets in it is perfectly OK as long as they are documented accordingly. And as I said earlier LilyJAZZ is already out in the wild, used, discussed and asked for, but presumably in a number of personal variations, with people having applied all kinds of personal improvements or patches.
Having it in the oll snippets would provide
- a common reference location to point interested people to
- an "authoritative" "latest version"
- a convenient central place for development
  where everybody can add his improvements.

Urs