Problem: incompatible Lilypond and Guile

From: rm damerell
Subject: Problem: incompatible Lilypond and Guile
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 20:36:25 +0000 (UTC)

Dear colleagues,

I have a problem due (I think) to a bad mixture of
versions of Lilypond and Guile. Versions are:
L-Ubuntu 12.04
guile-2.0.5+1-1   (most recent version I found in Ubuntu repository)
Lilypond 2.18.2   (From lilypond.org)

I  wrote a test file, x.ly:
BEGIN

\version "2.18.2"

\include "guile-debugger.ly"

END

It produces these errors:

Processing `/home/manager/lily/x.ly'
Parsing...
/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/guile-debugger.ly:39:2:
error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
 (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
readline is not provided in this Guile installation
/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/guile-debugger.ly:40:2:
error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression beginning here
#
(activate-readline)
Unbound variable: activate-readline

Contents of file guile-debugger.ly, comments
deleted and line numbers added:

\version "2.16.0"

#(module-define! (resolve-module '(guile-user))
                 'lilypond-module
                 (current-module))
%
% Ensure we have command-line recall available at the guile prompt
%
Line 39         #(use-modules (ice-9 readline))
Line 40         #(activate-readline)

[ Rest of file cut ]

I would like to continue with Lilypond 2.18, so what version of Guile
should I install?

Thank you