Re: MIDI dynamics parsing error

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: MIDI dynamics parsing error
Date: Sun, 18 May 2014 17:15:55 +0200

>>> If \omit is too strong and \hide leaves too much space, maybe overriding
>>> the stencil with point-stencil will work?
>>
>> Using point-stencil doesn't work either.
>>
>> \version "2.18.0"
>>
>> \score
>> {
>>   {
>>    \override DynamicText.stencil = #point-stencil
>>     c'1\mf\> c' c'\!
>>   }
>>   \layout {}
>>   \midi {}
>> }
>
> Ok, I'll bite: what does "doesn't work" mean?  I see the same results
> for overriding with point-stencil and omitting, and those results are
>
> a) without error message
> b) looking as expected when compared to the version with visible \mf
>
> Either way, I find the stopping position of the hairpin somewhat
> strange/early, but it is exactly the same as it would be without
> override.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Sorry if I was not clear enough.
I was looking for a method to circumvent the midi-error, but keep the
visual output.

Let me be a bit more verbose:

The following gives nice visual output, though triggers an error with midi:

  { c'1\> c' c'\! }

Inserting an expicit Dynamic resolves the midi-error, though, the
Hairpin starts at the right of the DynamicText, ofcourse.

  { c'1\mf\> c' c'\! }

Trying to remove the printed DynamicText via \hide or \omit or
#point-stencil, leaves the Hairpin untouched, i.e. starting to the
right of the now invisible or non-existent DynamicText-stencil.
(Little different with \hide)

  { c'1-\hide\mf\> c' c'\! }
  { c'1-\omit\mf\> c' c'\! }
  { c'1-\tweak #'stencil #point-stencil \mf\> c' c'\! }

The only way I've found to get back the output without the explicit
DynamicText was to set Hairpins left-bound to DynamicText-parent (and
setting DynamicText.stencil #f ofcourse).

  {
    c'1\mf -\tweak #'after-line-breaking
                 #(lambda (grob)
                      (let ((dyn-txt (ly:spanner-bound grob LEFT)))
                        (ly:grob-set-property! dyn-txt 'stencil #f)
                        (ly:spanner-set-bound! grob LEFT
                          (ly:grob-parent dyn-txt X))))

       \>
    c' c'\!