Re: relative pitch with song sections

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: relative pitch with song sections
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 17:53:54 +0100

At 06:30 15/05/2014 +1000, Nick Payne wrote:
I would say, based on my fairly extensive collection of guitar scores, collected over about 40 years, that there are probably more commercially engraved editions that omit the "8" than those that show it.

This is surely no different from the practice with tenor staves in SATB scores, where the "8" under the tenor's treble clef is indeed more often omitted than included. But in vocal music with more than four parts, and especially where the number of staves shown can vary from system to system, those little 8s are a significant help to the eye - apart from being technically required.

Elaine Gould describes these 8s as "optional", but adds (in the context of a full score) "the modified clef makes it easier to identify the position of instruments with such transpositions in a score".

Brian Barker