adding slurs to notes passed form a user defined function

From: Paul Malcolm
Subject: adding slurs to notes passed form a user defined function
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 08:42:08 +0000

This is my problem.
Ive written a crude little function

ScaleDegree = #(define-music-function (parser location Degree) (ly:music?)
#{
$Degree
#})

All this thing does is write one note according to the argument passed to it.

Say for example I define "the" note as

zero = \relative c' { g4 }

Then in the code I write

\ScaleDegree \zero  \ScaleDegree \zero

then I get two notes, both the g4.

However what I would to be able to do, is "sometimes" add a slur.
So ultimately I want g4(  g4) etc.

How can I do this please ?

I cannot write

\ScaleDegree \zero( \ScaleDegree \zero)

Suppose further I wanted to tie these two notes, that is a similar problem
isn't it ?

Perhaps there is a far simpler way to do this

Paul