Re: Efficient transposition

From: Colin Tennyson
Subject: Re: Efficient transposition
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 17:20:57 -0800 (PST)

Francisco Vila wrote
> I think docs explain it and examples "do exemplify it": lilypond music
> expressions are like math expressions: by adding new parts connected
> by operators you can build bigger expressions
>
> Now in lilypond you can have { f g a b } which is a music expression
> and so are these:
>
> \relative c { f g a b }
> \transpose c c' \relative c { f g a b }
> \new Staff \transpose c c' \relative c { f g a b }
>
> et cetera.

You are quite right of course.

My thinking was focused on the following kind of pattern:
The variable 'global' is called 4 times:

global = {
  \key a \minor
  \time 4/2
}

Level of indirection; you declare the key in a single place, and the
compiler retrieves it there 4 times.
My underlying vague hope was that something along those lines would be
available for transposition too.

I had tried:

\transpose c' a {
  \score { ... }
}

Which doesn't work.

My error was that on that negative result alone I jumped to the conclusion
that \transpose cannot be used on any grouping, that it can only be used on
otherwise uninterrupted sections.