Re: Increasing space for lyrics for one part of a verse

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Increasing space for lyrics for one part of a verse
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 08:19:19 +0100

On 12/17/2013 07:52 AM, bombcar wrote:
Yes. It's hard to see in that short example [...]

Hi Tom,

well, it was non-existent there, at least with the versions I could check quickly (2.14.2 and 2.17.96). Some thoughts:

For 2.16, it's probably okay to use
  \override LyricHyphen #'Y-extent = #'(0 . 1)
At least it works in 2.14... This essentially pretends that all the space covered by hyphens has some vertical padding around it. I think skyline computation (and, maybe, how slurs interact with other objects) changed somewhere in the 2.17 development cycle, that's why the issue doesn't occur in the newest development version at all.

More general, in your piece the text "belongs" to all voices. But if you add it like you do in your template, it will be associated to the upper staff, and thus be positioned more closely to that one. It is formally more correct to add your Lyrics with \new Lyrics \with { \override VerticalAxisGroup #'staff-affinity = #CENTER } \lyricsto "sopranos" ...
although that alone probably doesn't help here.

You can also have a look at

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-within-systems#spacing-of-non_002dstaff-lines
to resolve issues like that, but that doesn't really solve the problem that hyphens seem not to be considered for spacing in 2.16. Again, I can't check. If you set staff-affinity to #CENTER, the property you need to tweak is nonstaff-unrelatedstaff-spacing.

Best,
Alexander