Re: survey on multiple development versions

From: SoundsFromSound
Subject: Re: survey on multiple development versions
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:30:03 -0800 (PST)

Simon Bailey-5 wrote
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Mike Solomon <

> mike@

> > wrote:
>

>> I don’t think asking users a question is blasting ahead with a solution.
>>  It is a question that will help me better understand how users use
>> unstable versions LilyPond, which in turn will help me understand the
>> problem.
>>

> i've been using lilypond since 1.4. and my workflow pertaining to
> stable/unstable releases has always been as follows:
>
> 0. use the latest stable release more or less as soon as it comes out
> 1. keep an eye on the CHANGES file for nice new features
> 2. if a feature is implemented that i feel is an improvement to the stable
> release (this happens quite often), then i upgrade to the unstable release
> 3. i stay on top of  the unstable releases, also still keeping an eye on
> the CHANGES file
> 4. if i run into bugs (not very often anymore), i try to verify and report
> them
> 5. when the unstable branch moves to stable, so do i, and back to step 1.

For whatever it's worth, I've always used unstable builds from about 2 weeks
after I started using LilyPond. I began with stable, but then quickly hopped
on the unstables and have had zero issues with my scores.

I love the bleeding edge, what can I say? :) I am a risk-taker! lol

-----
composer | sound designer
LilyPond Tutorials (for beginners) --> http://bit.ly/bcl-lilypond